Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Caucasus Campaign (GMT) ~ "The Tournament Scenario"

Game: The Caucasus Campaign (GMT)
Scenario: 7-Turn Tournament Scenario
Participants: Bob H, Myself
Time: Thu, Oct 27th ~ 7.00PM - 9.00PM
         Sun, Oct 30th ~ 2.00PM - 6.00PM

When this game was released in 2009 Bob and I immediately jumped on it. We were already fans of Mr. Simonitch's work and this one didn't let us down. The game covers the German invasion of the Caucasus region of the Soviet Union from July through November of 1942. The units are mostly divisions with some brigades and regiments. Each turn is one week and each hex represents about 18 miles of terrain. The rules are very similar to other Simonitch games so we were able to quickly learn them and start playing. I think we played one or two tournament scenario's and then the full campaign game. I remember playing the campaign game, it was close and came down the the last couple turns. This time around we were only looking for a shorter game so we decided to stick to the tournament scenario. I took the Germans as Bob played them in our last game.

We had a lot of fun over two sittings with this title. I ended up loosing fairly badly to Bob, I resigned on Turn 6 with only 9 VPs (of the needed 14). I thought I was doing ok up until around then end of turn 4 when I started looking at what cities I would need to take in order to reach the 14 VPs I needed to win. In hindsight I was much to conservative, the German player really has to push hard in this scenario. 

Set Up

German Attacks, Turn 2
Start of Turn 3
Start of Russian Turn 4

Russian Movement Phase, Turn 5

Falling Short, Final German Positions, end of turn 6


No comments:

Post a Comment